Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 15:40:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas Valentino Crimi <tcrimi+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   While we're at it...

  I've been having some fun compiling FreeBSD ports on a mostly NetBSD
system and ran into a problem compiling xemacs20, from what I see from
NetBSD they've never made a package of it (or any other alpha ports) so
I was wondering if anyone has succeeded.  Otherwise, I'm going to see
what I can do as foreboding as it looks.

  Problem I ran into is in unexalpha.c, it calls some header files,
"filehdr.h, aouthdr.h, scnhdr.h, and syms.h" that are probably found on
OSF but I've never heard of.  unexfreebsd.c probably can't e expected to
work so maybe if I grab these files from an OSF system it will work?
Does that sound too easy? ;)

  Maybe we can also begin to work on which ports work properly under
alpha, albiet some packages are far harder to give a comprehensive test
to.  So far I can only report that tcsh compiles and installs fine.