Date:      Mon, 6 Jul 1998 18:58:50 +0100
From:      "Alton, Matthew" <Matthew.Alton@anheuser-busch.com>
To:        "'Erick Engelke'" <erick@dark.uwaterloo.ca>
Cc:        "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'freebsd-fs@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Smallie, Scott" <Scott.Smallie@anheuser-busch.com>
Subject:   RE: lfs

	[Alton, Matthew]
	Are you getting a core dump for kgdb?  I don't have a scratch
box running
	this code right now.  I've got a nasty old 486/33 almost up for
testing purposes
	but its imbecilic BIOS won't boot with an NE2000 clone in the
bus.

> Since successive boots don't notice the updates, I'm assuming the log
> is
> never being updated.  Possibly the kernel pages are not mapped to
> backing
> store... as a first guess.  I'll try lfsdump to investigate.
>
> I've started adding debugging code to figure out how far we get.
> Hmmm, where do printfs send their output... nowhere I happen to be
> looking?
	[Alton, Matthew]
	I thought they went to /dev/console but the relevant descriptors
may be closed
	when lfs is using them.  Can anybody provide the correct poop on
kernel-mode
	debug output to /dev/console before I go and spontaneously
reinvent the wheel?

> Also, how do I make this pop into the kernel debugger?
	[Alton, Matthew]
	See http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook297.html#627
> Sorry for the startup questions.
	[Alton, Matthew]
	Don't apologise, for crying out loud.  I've been starting up for
17 years ;-)