Date:      Sun, 26 Apr 1998 20:52:45 -0400
From:      "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ricardo_Manuel_N=FA=F1ez_Chirino?=" <rinunez@telcel.net.ve>
To:        "FreeBSD Hardware" <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Parallel Port Zip FreeBSD Drive

Dear Gentlemen,

I was installing Mr. Nicolas Souchu´s Parallel Port Zip FreeBSD Drive...

I have FreeBSD 2.2.1, 32 MB RAM, Pentium-S 133 MHz.

I was doing what the README file says, but I´m having some problems in the
installation:

>	- Copy the ppbus directory to /sys/dev/

No problem. I copied exactly to /sys/dev/ppbus/

>	- Copy the files in the isa directory to /sys/i386/isa

No problem

>	- Edit /sys/conf/files, and add: (...)

OK. No problem

>	- Edit /sys/i386/conf/files.i386, and add (...)

OK. No problem

>- An example of the /sys/i386/conf/MACHINE file:
>
>       controller      scbus0                          # SCSI stuff
>        device          sd0
>
>        controller      ppbus0                          # ppbus stuff
>        controller      vpo0            at ppbus0       # Iomega ZIP
support
>        device          nlpt0           at ppbus0       # printer support
>        device          ppi0            at ppbus0       # ppbus interface
>        #device         plip0           at ppbus0       # PLIP support
>
>        controller      ppc0    at isa? port? irq 7 vector ppcintr
>
>        #controller     ppa0    at isa? port 0x378      # Obsolete
>        #device         lpt0    at isa? port? tty       # Obsolete

Here´s my first doubt... Is he saying that I should add these lines to my
"RINUNEZ" file to rebuild my kernel inmediately after this step??? I named
my kernel file selfishly "RINUNEZ" .

What I really did was just make the "MACHINE" file and go on with the other
steps.

>- Add the following line to /sys/i386/i386/userconfig.c:
>	{"ppc",		"Parallel port chipset",		0,		CLS_COMMS},

I noticed that´s a C file, but that line is not a legal statement in C
language... Is it all right???

>	- add the special device nodes to /dev:
>
>		mknod /dev/ppi0 c 82 0
>		mknod /dev/ppi1 c 82 1
OK.

>Modules
>-------
>
>	ppimod directory contains the Makefile of /sys/dev/ppbus/ppi.c module.

I run "make" over the ppbimod directory, but it doesn´t work. I append the
output (stderr and stdout at the end of this note).

>Boot flags
>----------
>	bits 0,1,2,3:
>		chipset's mode (see ppbconf.h)
>	bit 4:
>		0 -> EPP 1.9 protocol
>		1 -> EPP 1.7 protocol
>	bit 5:
>		0 -> consider interrupts
>		1 -> ignore interrupts

I have no idea what this part means.

Yours faithfully and thank you very much,

Ricardo Nunez
rinunez@telcel.net.ve

P.S.:

The output of make:

Warning: Object directory not changed from original
/usr/home/rinunez/discozip/ppbus-dist.971125/ppimod
cc -O -nostdinc -I/sys -I.  -DKERNEL -DACTUALLY_LKM_NOT_KERNEL
-I/usr/home/rinunez/discozip/ppbus-dist.971125/ppimod/../../sys
-Wreturn-type -Wcomment -Wredundant-decls -Wimplicit  -Wnested-externs
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes  -Wpointer-arith -c
/sys/dev/ppbus/ppi.c
*** Error code 1

Stop.
 function `ppi_mod':
/sys/dev/ppbus/ppi.c:242: `_module' undeclared (first use this function)
/sys/dev/ppbus/ppi.c:242: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/sys/dev/ppbus/ppi.c:242: for each function it appears in.)