Date:      Mon, 3 Aug 1998 15:35:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Robert D. Keys" <bsdbob@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
To:        freebsd-install@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        rdkeys@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu (User RDKEYS Robert D. Keys)
Subject:   How to get 2.2.7 or stable or current on a 4 meg ram box?

I have an older decstation 4 meg ram toy that I would like to get some sort
of FBSD on so that I can use the box for a portable ftp install machine.
The machine has only a floppy, and for the present I need to do a floppy
install, but will later add an ethernet card for my use as an ftp box.

I have tried 386BSD, FBSD 1.1, and FBSD 2.0.5, and the 1.1 cyclically
rebooted (bad bios chipset) while the 2.0.5 diskset gave me read errors
(my 2.0.5 archive disks may be going bellyup) and the 386BSD installed
fine.  2.1.7.1 ran out of memory, apparently.  So, this got me to thinking
that it ought to be possible to manually install using the fixit disk.
If that would work, I could get 2.2.7 or later up on it the first time
around.  I don't have a spare box that I can preinstall the drives at
the present time.

So, how does one manually install from the fixit disk correctly, from
something like a tarball of the bin set or a tarball of bin, or maybe
even a dump of the file systems?  It ought to be possible if I could
just figure out how.  If an example script exists somewhere that I
should look at, that would be nice.  If anyone has any suggestions
as to how to properly do this, I would be appreciative therof.

Thanks

Bob Keys
rdkeys@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu