Date:      Sun, 31 May 1998 19:41:16 +0200
From:      "Christopher Martin at Home" <psycho@keyworld.net>
To:        "Blaine Minazzi" <bminazzi@w3page.com>, "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SMTP Relay probing - Should I follow up - advice?

> > That is because alter.net does not sell dialup directly. They sell
> > them to resellers. While the reseller contract they use could probably
> > be beefed up a bit, if the reseller doesn't act UUNet is kinda stuck.
>
> No, they could terminate the resellers connection if the reseller does
> not enforce the AUP.
> A reseller, if most of his customers are legit, will not risk loosing
> his business over a few spammers.
>
> They appear to not be willing to do this, and, in turn, we all lose.
>
> We get spammed, and our services stolen.
> They get the bucks for hosting the theives.
> And we don't do anything about it, because it might cost us something.
>
> Sorry state of affairs, is it not?

I  agree totally. Being a recent victim illicit smtp server use for spam
relaying in a region where shitty bandwidth costs big bucks, I assure you
that I saw our transmissions (output) from our server farm max out for
periods of 18 hours sometimes.

I say the law is on the side of the upstream provider, and resellers are
law-bound to follow their upstream's policies and ensure that their
customers are doing so as well.

Uniform code of ethics is probably required.

Youse are all tecchies. Some good hardcore legal codexes should be applied
though. More important. Otherwise no liability.

--
Christopher Martin
BDM -KeyWORLD http://www.keyworld.net