Date:      Sun, 21 Jun 1998 12:32:09 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Leif Neland <leifn@internet.dk>
To:        Ben Schumacher <freebsd@plinet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD - Apache Perl CGIs

On Sat, 20 Jun 1998, Ben Schumacher wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to setup one of our FreeBSD servers that is running Apache 1.2.5
> to support Perl CGIs.  Actually, to put it more accurately, I have setup
> one of our FreeBSD servers to support Perl CGIs, but not to the point where
> I'm happy with them.
>
> Basically, what I'm trying to do is to make it possible for customers to be
> able to upload Perl CGIs to our server and have it automatically set the
> permissions to make the CGI executable, or just make it so that the Perl
> CGIs can be interpreted.  Either that or make it so that the CGIs don't
> have to have the executable bit be set to be able to have them run by a
> Perl interpreter.
>
> Does anybody know of a way to do this?  I've tried playing around with
> umask, but it refuses to set an executable bit, even when you give it
> settings that tell it that it should do just that.

If you really trust your users and their scripts that much, you could run
a cronjob setting execute permissions.

You could tell the users the new scripts would be
automatically security-checked every 5 minutes past the hour...

But any user running a real ftp program could just chmod the files
themself. chmod 777 file works from the fbsd's ftp.

Leif Neland
leifn@internet.dk