Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 1998 13:44:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   CLASSPATH

I do not know if this currently pertains to the JDK port, but may be of
issue.  I have my CLASSPATH variable set as follows:

CLASSPATH=.:/usr/local/share/kaffe/classes.zip:/usr/local/netscape/java/classes/java40.jar

Kaffe is quite happy, finding its classes stuff.  Netscape 4.04 now
complains that its classes are unsigned (previous versions did not care?);
placing the Netscape classes first causes Kaffe to barf with a seg
violation.  Presumably the Netscape signatures on Jar files are standard
Java Stuff, so Kaffe is at fault for not reading Jar files appropriately.
What would be the best way to resolve this?  Wrappers to set CLASSPATH
appropriately?

Also, I am not sure that the . at the beginning is necessary/appropriate
(Given a general concern with .'s in any path), but it must have come out
of a sample config somewhere from Kaffe or such.  Is the current JDK happy
with signed Jar files?  (etc?)

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University http://www.cmu.edu/
SafePort Network Services  http://www.safeport.com/