Date:      Mon, 02 Feb 1998 02:39:04 +0000
From:      Ian Grigg <iang@systemics.com>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   jdk115 JNI requires ELF, gcc makes a.out

Hi Team,

I've been using your FreeBSD JDK 1.1.5, and it hums.  I've  compiled up
and tested all of the current Cryptix distribution, and it went through
with no problems.

I'm now trying something harder: Cryptix-C Native (JNI).  I've got it to
compile ok, with only this change:

   cd bin;  ln -s i386 i586

which was required for javah.

However, the result that is produced by gcc is a.out format, and the JVM
seems to require ELF.

I guess we are stuck with the JDK requiring ELF?

(I couldn't find any doco on the subject of ELFs, other than a hint that
if I installed a patch kit called Elfkit I could effectively compile for
ELFs.  But I couldn't find much recent status on that, it seemed to be
at the development stage.)

Now, I guess this isn't a bug, but I'd be grateful for any pointers...
Is there a way to produce ELFs that I've missed, or a way to use a.out
in the JVM?

Other than that, great job, it's now the distribution JDK for Cryptix.
--
iang                                      systemics.com

FP: 1189 4417 F202 5DBD  5DF3 4FCD 3685 FDDE on pgp.com