Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 10:41:45 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Mahadevan Iyer <iyer@internetdevices.com>
Cc:        java-port@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, saurabh@internetdevices.com, namit@internetdevices.com
Subject:   Re: Possible Bug in JVM socket code on FreeBSD, java.net.Socket

> I have a simple Server and Client pair
> Server listens for connections on fixed port
> Clients connect to the server on the port
>
> The Client opens N connections to the server and keeps them open
> The Server sends data on each of these connections
> The Client listens for data on each of these connections in a single
> thread
>
> N > 250 causes the Client to dump core

For what it's worth, I have tracked down this 'bug' and now know what
the problem is.  It's related to the select code used in FreeBSD
limiting the JVM to 255 *total* file descriptors.  Unfortunately, I
don't (yet) have a way to increase the number of descriptors
arbitrarily, so until we come up with a solution the limit is 250.

In other news, I've got JDK1.1.7 built, and am wait on my testers to
give me some feedback on it.  The only testing I've done on it has been
to make sure it compiles itself and actually 'run' the bug-report
programs.

Hopefully others will get a chance to run it through some Swing and/or
AWT applications before it goes public.

Nate

ps. Again, *THANKS* for the great bug report which included the test
application.  This made tracking down the bug much easier.