Date:      Mon, 4 May 1998 22:19:01 +0100 (BST)
From:      Ben Cohen <bjc23@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
Subject:   FreeBSD Console

Hi!

I am using the default console driver in FreeBSD, that is, I haven't
changed to the vt220 one in the kernel config.

However, there are a few minor glitches which I would like to remove if
possible.  I'd prefer not to change to the vt220 driver as everything else
seems fine under the default driver.  What are the differences between the
two drivers and what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

One is when telnet-ing to other machines, backspace gives ^H, rather than
the desired effect (of deleting a character, which must then be done by
delete).  Is there any way of avoiding this?  (Does telnet support
emulation of another TERM type from the end it's run on rather than the
telnetd end?)

Also, there seems to be a problem when using Pine 3.96.  I have
disable-keymenus _enabled_ to display more lines on the screen, but this
appears to cause display problems.  For example, if I compose a message
and then press ^C to cancel, the display moves one line up and an extra
line is added at the bottom.  I don't know whether or not this is a
problem with Pine or the console driver, since (a) it's fine in an xterm
and (b) it's fine with disable-keymenus _disabled_.  Does anyone know what
the problem could be?

Thanks.

Ben.