Date:      Thu, 08 Jul 1999 12:53:01 -0700
From:      jbarbee@singular.com (John Barbee)
To:        freebsd-afs@freebsd.org
Subject:   please clarify: afs and dfs and other fs

Hi,
  I'm doing a little bit of research for a project that we may undertake in
the future.  A lot of what we want to do is based around a reliable
distributed fs architecture.  We've heard that IBM uses a lot of AFS for
their e-commerce, OSS-related stuff.  I'm actually not that familiar with
IBM's practices, but that's what I'm told.
  Anyway, I read through the AFS FAQ and it seems to be something we can
use.  However, I new to the different distributed file systems
architectures and don't understand certain things around AFS and hoped that
someone could clarify them.
  According to AndrewII, AFS has been replaced by DFS from OSF.  When I go
to OSF's website there is no mention of DSF.  On a different note, I
thought DFS was a Microsoft product.  Besides that, why are people working
on Arla (by this I mean make free versions of AFS instead of DFS) or
porting AFS if it has already been replaced?
   Lastly, is this in any way related to CODA or CIFS?

tia

john.