Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 1999 11:58:00 -0500
From:      shsrms/aka/shsrms <shsrms@bellatlantic.net>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Potential Newbie Question

Hi,
I have been using NetBSD on my Vaxen for a few years.
I have gotten interested in FreeBSD and am considering
setting up my newest alpha to run FreeBSD.

I have a couple of questions that relate to my new
PC164.

Looking in the various FreeBSD resources on the net, I do find
refs to jkh running SCSI drives on a PC164, so, does FreeBSD support
IDE drives on this beast?

What are the supported/recommended video cards?

Now one, might be really dumb question, but that is ok..
What is the best way to install FreeBSD on the alpha -
I can acquire a CD, I can do the floppies, I could do the FTP across the
net-
???

I have looked into it a little, figuring on setting up a PC with Free on
it, just
to play before I tackle the alpha, but I have been a little frustrated,
coming from
the Netbsd environment where I can just download the tarball and go at
it, Free does not seem to do it that way.  Am I off base here?
I have been wrong before, I have missed stuff, so If I am missing
something now, please feel free to give me a clue!!
thanks
bob