Date:      Sun, 26 Dec 1999 16:40:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike s <god@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Portal

I changed the subject of this thread from "bugs in the
handbook" to " FreeBSd portal to avoid any further
confusion of my intentions.

Well, i have already taking the iniative in starting
what it is i have been
talking about.

I have a lot of documentation that is done already,  (
alot being 35% )
the site is very appealing for those that use netscape
and the like and is also
lynx friendly.

I have already coded alot of user/interactive parts of
the site in php.

i know there are already several other sites such as
freebsddiary.org,
freebsdzine.com ( org? ) freebsdrocks.com, that have
some useful information.
Probably freebsddiary the most useful in my opinion.

which again i emphasize , my goal is to create a
FreeBSD portal similar to
linux.com,  not  design a whole new site for
freebsd.org.  If I am solo on this
and will have no support from the -doc team ( which i
never really intended on
having ) I am OK, with that.

If i have to develop this site in my own free time it
might take me awhile to
do but it is a commitment  i have made to myself to
accomplish.

the layout is close to being finished already and
about 60% of the php coding is
done.

once i have enough basic documentation written i will
launch the alpha version
of the site and announce it in the announce mailing
list.

before launching the alpha site it will include:

-a step by step installation process focused on the
novice.
-troubleshooting
-basic networking support
-getting Connected to the internet
-all man pages marked outdated/up to date
-using CVSup and make world
-security related support
-what services need to be running for specific server
purposes
-performance optimization
-understanding log files
-understanding /etc/*.conf files for the novice
-most common asked questions  with simple solutions (
Not FAQ's )
-FreeBSD command reference.
-UID's and GID's  file permissions
-introduction to firewalls.
-mailing list archives which users will be able to
send and recieve via the web

the beauty of the site is that user can submit
comments to the documentation
also add documentation to the subject in mind that
will be pre-formatted
to the site once submitted and at the bottom of the
page will be links to all
the comments and addition documentation.

I have alot more in mind but this is what i have
started to design, i am
welcome to any suggestions. so please don't hesitate
to let me know of any
idea's you may have.

On another note:

who would i need to speak to about pointing something
like portal.freebsd.org to
one of my IP's. Or would that be innapropriate?

mike
god@yahoo.com