Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 1999 11:08:22 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Steve McIntyre <smcintyr@allstor-sw.co.uk>
To:        Assar Westerlund <assar@sics.se>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, Erez Zadok <ezk@cs.columbia.edu>
Subject:   Re: KLD filesystems in 3.0?

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, Assar Westerlund wrote:

>Steve McIntyre <smcintyr@allstor-sw.co.uk> writes:
>> I'm having some problems trying to write a filesystem (pfs) as a KLD. I
>> load the pfs module, and the startup code seems to work OK. I can mount
>> the filesystem, and still all seems OK. But the first time I try to do
>any
>> vnode ops in the FS all falls down - vn_stat tries to call pfsop_getattr
>> and fails, apparently trying to call a function at 0x0b instead of the
>> real address. My guess is that somehow the vnodeop entries are not being
>> registered properly; I've had a look through some of the other
>filesystems
>> and I can't see anything obvious that I'm missing.
>>
>> Does anybody out there have any ideas for things to check?
>
>Do you do an VNODEOP_SET on your `struct vnodeopv_desc'?

I do, yes. In fact, I've found my problem now - in pfs_lookup I was
calling getnewvnode with a wrong parameter:

ret = getnewvnode(VT_VFS, vfsp, pfs_vnodeops, &pnode->vnode);

when it should have been

ret = getnewvnode(VT_VFS, vfsp, pfs_vnodeop_p, &pnode->vnode);

The change appears to have fixed things. It took me a while to find this -
I was assuming the list of vnodeops had to be registered into the system
like on Solaris and AIX, so I spent a long time checking on the semantics
of my vnode code...

Thanks for the suggestions, both of you that responded - they were very
helpful...

--
Steve McIntyre, Allstor Software         smcintyr@allstor-sw.co.uk
"Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky,