Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 1999 00:13:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Deleting a directory on ext2fs crashed the system

On Sat, 11 Dec 1999, Pekka Savola wrote:

> Deleting one directory on an ext2fs crashed my FreeBSD 3.4-RC system up
> pretty badly:
>
> panic: bmemfree: removing a buffer when not in queue
> Syncing disks ... [crash]

Please read the section in the handbook on kernel debugging. You need to
post a crashdump before someone can have a hope of fixing your problem.

> After that, I couldn't log in in with SSH, or log in from console
> (keyboard didn't seem to function apart from ALT-Fx).  NAT'ed connections
> stayed alive, though, and the system was pingable.

Err, if the system crashed, then none of these would have worked. Or do
you mean you got the misbehaviour when you rebooted? That is still very
odd.

> Btw, are there any good ext2 fsck tools?  I'm using the ones from Linux
> with emulation, but there are some unimplemented system calls or such.

That might be the cause of your problem, if you'd previously run these on
the partition prior to the crash. An unimplemented syscall means it can't
do everything it was trying to, which may hose your filesystem.

I think NetBSD have a fsck_ext2fs - you'd have better luck with that. Or
if you want to use the linux one, you'll have to provide some more verbose
problem reporting to the emulation list (i.e. what missing syscalls?)

Kris