Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 10:44:42 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: !! Emergency !! Help FreeBSD 3.0 with IBM Netfinity 5000

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999, David Dawes wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 20, 1999 at 11:42:11AM +0800, hawkkuan@tw.ibm.com wrote:
>
> >     Recenlty IBM Taiwan had a large project to prompt FreeBSD in Taiwan
> >elementary
> >school. We use 600 sets IBM Netfinity 5000 server in this project.
> >
> >     We had some problems with IBM Netfinity 5000 with FreeBSD, The most
> >important
> >is that there is 2 set of PCI bridge of Netfinity 5000. When I installed
> >the netfinity 5000 and
> >use "dmesg" command. System can regonized all chip set on mainboard,
> >include 2 PCI bridge
> >chip set and 1 PCI-ISA bridge.
> >
> >==== IBM Netfinity 5000 Bus Architecture ====
> >
> >     PCI bus 0 connected with on board AIC-7895, S3  Video chip & AMD
> >79cXXX NIC and
> >only "1" free PCI slot.
> >
> >     PCI bus 1 connected with 4 PCI slots , 2 of them are PCI/ISA share
> >slot.
> >
> >====== The most problems we meet  ======
> >

> >     All adaptor (we try Intel Ether express pro) only can be regonized on
> >PCI bus 0 , but
> >no matter what we have tried, we can't install any adaptor on PCI bus 1
> >slots!!
>
> >Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
> >chip0: <Host to PCI bridge (vendor=1166 device=0007)> rev 0x04 on pci0.0.0
> >chip1: <Host to PCI bridge (vendor=1166 device=0005)> rev 0x02 on pci0.0.1
>
> I guess the problem is multiple host-PCI bridges.  This is something we
> need to deal with at XFree86 too.  Is it correct that there is no
> generic way of handling these?

The way the existing pci code handles this is to probe the bridge for its
maximum bus number and make sure that every bus number in the range is
probed. It requires knowledge of each type of bridge to get this right.
To fix this we need documentation of the configuration registers of the
bridges in this machine.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com