Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 1999 09:50:17 +0100 (CET)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE (Christoph Kukulies)
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: error message in the logs - 00.70

Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> Feb 20 22:27:06 bgate /kernel: i4b-L2-i4b_rxd_ack: ((N(R)-1)=124) != (UA=125) !!!

Somehow a packet got lost (wherever) and this is an indication that the
protocol recovery mechanisms are doing their work.

BTW, recently there was a question what

	i4b-L1-isic_hscx_waitxfw: HSCX wait for XFW timeout!

means, and i forgot to answer that one. This is an indication that an IRQ
from the HSCX (the chip handling the B-channel) got lost - most likely
because someone else blocked interrupts for a long time. It does no harm in
case an error correcting protocol (such as TCP) runs on the B-channel.

I have a machine here which used to have SCSI disks and at that time i
never saw that message. Now some time ago i could not resist to buy a dirt
cheap IDE disk and since then i see those messages once or twice a week even
after tuning the wdc driver with some flags values.

I'll stay away from IDE now.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                hm@kts.org                   Hamburg, Europe
 We all live in a yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine ...