Date:      Sun, 05 Dec 1999 23:55:37 +0800
From:      "aLan Tait" <aLan@fil.net>
To:        "freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   IPFilter and xntpd

I got IPFilter running in the gateway computer.  Likewise,
xntpd was working fine... until I switched it online and
over to the RFC 1918 addresses between the router and the
Gateway.

Below is basically the rc.conf file (xl0's IP was changed
for security).

If I am on gw and try to ping, traceroute, or xntpd to the
outside world, it fails...  I think because it is passing
the 192.186.1.2 address as the return.  That, of course,
also makes xntpd fail for other servers pointed at gw.  If I
point an inside server at outside our network, it works
fine.  Everything inside to the outside works as far as I
can tell.  I was just thinking it would be good if the gw
was also our system clock...

Can this be?  Am I missing something that would allow the
return packets to return to "123.45.102.1" instead of
"192.168.1.2"???

Or should I just use a different server inside (like ftp),
and then point gw at it?

network_interfaces="ed1 xl0 lo0"
ifconfig_ed1="inet 192.168.1.2  netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter="192.168.1.1"
ifconfig_xl0="inet 123.45.102.1  netmask 255.255.254.0"
gateway_enable="YES"
hostname="gw.fil.net"
moused_type="NO"
xntpd_enable="YES"