Date:      Sun, 25 Jul 1999 17:33:41 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Dean Brundage <Dean.Brundage@EBay.Sun.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on handheld computers

In message <199907231844.LAA26411@ha1mil.EBay.Sun.COM> Dean Brundage writes:
: 	I was at a computer convention a few weeks ago and passed by
: someone using what looked like a Sharp handheld computer running
: Linux (or some unix os).  I didn't get a good enough look at it and
: was unble to ask him questions, but it got my curiousity piqued.  I
: want to get myself a hand-held computer, nad since it looks like it
: might be possible, am interested in running fBSD on it.  Does anyone
: out there know of resources I can tap?  I'm currently looking at
: Sharp Mobilon, NEC Mobile Pro, (the new)IBM Workpad z50, and the IBM
: Thinkpad 240 (which looks more like a ultra-small laptop but is more
: than I want to spend right now)

Linux isn't running on the MIPS based handhelds yet, nor on the SH-3
based ones.  If you'd like to run NetBSD on your handheld, then you
can run NetBSD/hpcmips.  Information on it can be found as a link off
my pda page at
	http://www.freebsd.org/~imp/pdamips.html
Follow the NetBSD/hpcmips page.  There likely needs to be a better
English page, but the one that is there was translated by me from
Japanese, so I guess I know who to blame...

If you are shopping for a pda, you'll likely want to checkout my
page.  The Vr41xx series is best supported by the NetBSD/hpcmips
port.  The Linux folks (which you can find over at
http://www.linuxce.com/) may also target the R39xx class of machines
(both the Toshiba TMPR39xx and the Phillips PR31x00) since someone who
has a NINO wants linux to run on it.  The main person who is actually
doing work on the Linux/Mips + pda work has a VADEM Clio.

The Sharp Mobilon uses the TMPR3912, which isn't supported by the
NetBSD/hpcmips kernel yet.  The NEC Mobile Pro uses either the Vr4111
or Vr4121 depending on the model (well, the really old ones use the
Vr4101 or Vr4102, but they are limited to 4M RAM).  The IBM Workpad
z50 uses a Vr4121 at 131MHz.  I just wish I had one of those nice,
small fast PDAs rather than my nice, small slow one...

The NEC MobileGear familiy is best supported, but you have to get
those in Japan.  I've booted NetBSD/hpcmips on my Everex Freestyle
Associate (A-10, w/16M upgrade) and it works ok, but with no input
device, the thing is limited.  I've also booted NetBSD/hpcmips on my
VADEM Clio (which is the same thing as the Sharp Tripad), and my fixes
for the keyboard have recently been integrated into the kernel, but I
don't think that the pccard slot stuff is working yet.

FreeBSD/mips isn't ready for something like this yet....  I lost a lot
of work on this in a disk crash while I was not a praticing member of
the church of the daily backup.

Warner