Date:      Sun, 05 Dec 1999 12:05:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        Mark Hartley <mark@whetstonelogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Which pcmcia network card

On 03-Dec-99 Mark Hartley wrote:
> I am going to be needing to get an ethernet card for a laptop, and
> I'm wondering which one would be best to buy.  It doesn't need to be
> a 10/100 card, but of course that wouldn't hurt. It will be used in a
> standard 10Base-T network (RJ45 connectors).  I have very little
> experience with FreeBSD and laptops, but I've heard some pcmcia cards
> work better in FreeBSD (i.e. not needing the PAO stuff).  The laptop
> is a new Toshiba Satellite with 2 type 2 slots (I think).
>
> Anyway, can someone recommend what works well under
> FreeBSD3.3-Release and later?

Well, I suggest waiting until 4.0-RELEASE comes out in a few months and then
seeing how PC-Card support is then. Warner Losh <imp@village.org> is working on
importing a large amount of the effort put forth by the newconfig project,
which should (in the end) add CardBus support.

CardBus support means _real_ 100Mbit performance, as the current "normal"
PC-Card interface can't handle 100Mbit (although you _CAN_ connect at that
speed) transfers.

4.0-RELEASE looks like it will be coming very soon now..

I am running 4.0-CURRENT with my 3Com Megahertz 3CCFE574BT (non-CardBus)
PC-Card.. although it's an older -CURRENT while I wait for Warner & Matt Dodd
to fix the broken if_ep (for this card, that is) driver..

Anyway, I cannot really recommend any single card, but your best bet is to look
at the PAO project's list of supported PC-Cards.. most of the time, cards
listed there can work under native FreeBSD (i.e., no PAO patches needed).

Sorry I can't give you a current best. But I still recommend waiting for
4.0-RELEASE before buying such an ethernet card.. unless you're willing to use
4.0-CURRENT with, say, a 3C589D or something (I don't think that card works
under 3.3-RELEASE/STABLE).

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>