Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 1999 02:21:22 -0600
From:      Michael Mad Max Maxwell <drwho@xnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a couple ?'s

God, I hate BSD vs. Linux questions...

On Sat, Feb 20, 1999 at 11:06:39PM -0800, Aaron Presuhn wrote:
> Hi I just have a couple questions about FreeBSD.
>
> 1) How does compare to Linux in Ease of installation? Is it easy to
> install or not?  I'm speaking in terms of a Linux newbie, which is
> what I am.

They are, in my opinion, both quite easy to install.

> 2) Where can I find a list of video cards that FreeBSD supports?

FreeBSD doesn't support anything special in terms of video hardware.
X11 is what handles the video hardware.  See www.xfree86.org

> 3) How does it compare to Linux in the field of stability and
> reliability?

My experience is that they are both very stable OS's and are quite
reliable.  My Linux box at work has been up since it was installed
without a single reboot over three months ago.  I've had my FreeBSD
boxes up for just as long or longer, only having to reboot for some
sort of maintenance (move the machine, whatever).

However, BSD seems to excel when under a heavy load.  Linux doesn't
quite measure up there...

For more information, see www.freebsd.org.  But yes, X11 is available.

--
    Michael Maxwell <drwho @ xnet.com>  |  http://www.xnet.com/~drwho/
       "American Justice: oxymoron.  William J. Clinton: moron."