Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 00:00:08 PDT
From:      "Neal Downe" <nd11@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   identd

I use some servers that require I send valid ident responses.  The problem
is that because the ident is an incoming TCP connection and I'm NAT'ing
multiple machines to the same public IP, there's no way that I can think of
to pass the request through my gateway (3.2-RELEASE) to the machine the
ident is intended for.

Is the ident daemon in /etc/inetd.conf what I'm looking for?

I'd have to have inetd running to use an identd, right?

What are the security risks involved with running an identd?

Is there a rooting risk like there is with finger?

Should I use an identd other than the stock one?