Date:      Tue, 09 Mar 1999 17:48:50 +0100 (CET)
From:      Michael Bretterklieber <mbretter@sbox.tu-graz.ac.at>
To:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.1 Release problems

Hi,

I have (had) many problems with the new PicoBSD 0.43 included in 3.1-Release:

1. the build-process stopped in stage1 with no error and no warning.
   I found the following wrong lines in the script,
   because the new bootloader resides in /boot:
   "dd if=/usr/mdec/boot1 of=fs.PICOBSD conv=notrunc 2> /dev/null"
   I changed them to:
   "dd if=/boot/boot1 of=picobsd.bin conv=notrunc 2> /dev/null"

1a: In stage3 is this line:
    "disklabel -Brw -b /usr/mdec/fdboot -s /usr/mdec/bootfd
                /dev/rvn0 fd1440 2>&1 >/dev/null"
    I replaced them with:
    "disklabel -Brw -b /boot/boot1 -s /boot/boot2 /dev/rvn0 fd1440 2>&1
>/dev/null"

2. Two aout-objects are required in /usr/lib/aout: kzhead.o and kztail.o.
   I had to copy these files from my old 3.0 disk.
   Wy are there aout things? I thought everything is now ELF?

3. I added PAM, because login has some PAM-functions.
   I thing PAM is a good idea, so this isn't a problem,
   but should I remove the -DNOSECURE define from blah/crunch1/Makefile CFLAGS?
   What does the define -DNOSECURE mean?

3a. What I have to do, if I don't want PAM?
    Is it right if I add in blah/crunch1/Makefile the additional CFLAGS:
-DNOPAM? ?

4. The biggest problem is, that my PicoBSD crashes after the device-probing:
   Init died with signal 6 and the system automatically reboots?@!

5. Now the PicoBSD takes much more place then the old version, so
   I had to remove the sshd. I have now 50KB free without sshd, before
   I had 36KB with sshd?

6. Has anybody tried to add "skip" to PicoBSD?

Thanx,

E-Mail: Michael Bretterklieber <mbretter@sbox.tu-graz.ac.at>