Date:      Mon,  5 Jul 1999 23:59:20 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Dmitry Flitmann <dflit@nns.ru>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Intel SC450NX hangs under high disk/memory load (2)

Hi there - again :)

I've read kern/11330 bug report from the GNATS database,
and tried to compile kernel which uses only 512M RAM.

Everything seems to work fine.

Any ideas - are there any problems with memory over 512M -
either kernel, or maybe some drivers/controllers?

>We've got a "fast" computer for our database:
>Intel SC450NX, 2xXeon/500MHz/512K cache,
>1G RAM (4x256 50ns ECC EDO Buffered DRAM from Samsung), SymBios U2W SCSI onboard,
>2xPCI, 3x18G Seagate Cheetah,
>OS - FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE - also tried 3.1,3.2-RELEASE, 4.0-CURRENT.
>
>At first, we had to patch NCR driver - then it worked fine for some time.
>
>Under high load disks/memory load (copying a large directory tree from
>one disk to another - ~200Mb, ~150K files) a problem appears -
>after ~15 minutes of hard work the system hangs -
>it does not create any new processes anymore.
>
>When we try ktrace, it shows last operation "namei" (while opening
>file for reading).
>
>3.2-RELEASE & -STABLE & 4.0-CURRENT die silently,
>3.1 reports "Page fault while in kernel mode".
>
>fault virtual address diffes, once it was 0x0.
>
>Our first idea was that the problem is in a patched ncr driver, so we
>have replaced SymBios with Adaptec 2940U2W, but effect persists.
>
>CPU load is not very high, there are not a lot of processes,
>and no one keeps a lot of files open simultaneously.
>?
>MAXUSERS is 512 (or 256)
>
>We tried both SMP and single-processor kernels.

Sincerely,
Dmitry Flitman
National News Service/National Electronic Library.