Date:      Sun, 8 Aug 1999 04:20:37 -0700
From:      "Morgan Davis" <mdavis@cts.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Removing files in /lost+found causes panic

I'm running FreeBSD 3.2-stable (last cvsup/make-world was yesterday, new
kernel installed, etc.).  A recent fsck after a bad shutdown left several
weird files in /lost+found.  They look like character or block device files,
with random flag attributes and modes.  I read the FAQ/handbook items on
using chflags to clean up the flags that keep you from removing the files.
But when I attempt to remove them, the system panics every time.  I tried it
in single user mode, no difference.  I booted up the Fixit floppy, mounted
the drive, and tried again.  Same problem.

This happens on the root filesystem's lost+found as well as on the /usr
filesystem (which is the only one that has softupdates enabled).

What is the trick to cleaning out these /lost+found directories without
panicing?

Thanks.

--Morgan