Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 18:19:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        tokenring@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   TMS380 driver status

I don't have any usable progress to report but I've managed to commit more
time to my driver writing efforts.

I can reset the card, download the firmware, verify the bring up
diagnostics, write the initialization data structure and service a few odd
interrupts.  I can also open the adapter onto the ring.

tez0: <Proteon ProNET-4/16 p199x> at 0x2000-0x200e, 0x2c00-0x2cff irq 15
tez0: on eisa0 slot 2
tez0: Token Ring LLC Version 2.2.6 Vendor ID 0x000000
tez0: FENIX chip (TMS380C26) Version 2.0, 128 KB RAM onboard
tez0: Microcode copyright notices:
tez0:   (C)1983-94 Texas Instruments
tez0:   (C)1983-86 IBM Corp
tez0:   (C)1986 Hughes LAN Systems Inc
tez0: MAC address: 00:00:c9:10:ad:5e

tez0: flags=8803<UP,BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 18000
        lladdr 00:00:c9:10:ad:5e

I'm trying to figure out a method for reading the firmware in from an
external file as multiple adapters from different vendors aren't really
licensed to use the same firmware code.  (I've got it hardcoded right now
which would be a problem for general use)

I'm also having problems extracting the firmware images from various
driver distributions.  I've got a utility that can read and extract it
from a few things, but for the majority I'm a little stumped on the
headers.  Anyone want to try their hand at figuring it out?

I've got a fairly wide variety of TMS380 based boards but so far only the
Proteon boards have acted sanely.  The Madge boards do weird things and
report themselves as being EPROM based and other silly stuff.  I suspect
the Compaq Netflex boards will work, but I'm still trying to find the
Ethernet firmware for my Netflex 2 ENET board.

Anyhow, thats about all I have.  I'd like to thank George Morgan for his
assistance in locating and shipping me the TMS380 Ethernet Supplement.  I
do believe that when finished, this driver will have the distinction of
being the only multi-protocol network driver around.  :)

Oh, and a good round of applause to Bill Paul, the ethernet driver writing
monster, for all the nifty new drivers he's written (and writing) and for
prodding me to my feet and off my ass.

I'm really happy to see the Olicom driver in the tree and I've even got an
Olicom board in the mail that I'll be able to play with in a few days.
I'm hoping that Larry can figure out the remaining problems with the IBM
driver as thats kind of a corner-stone to token ring card support.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | 78 280Z | 75 164E | 84 245DL | FreeBSD/NetBSD/Sprite/VMS |
| winter@jurai.net |      This Space For Rent     | ix86,sparc,m68k,pmax,vax  |