Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 21:15:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Nick Johnson <freebsd@spatula.net>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: syslogd_flags in /etc/defaults/rc.conf

	This is really the kind of discussion that should take place on
arch, unless someone changed their mind again. :)

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Nick Johnson wrote:

> I'm curious to see if anyone is like-minded with me that syslogd_flags in
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf should be "-ss" instead of "".  I reasoned that it
> should be, considering:
>
>   1. Most people don't direct syslogs at other machines in my experience.

1a. The people that do know how to change the flags.

>   2. Someone could conceivably DOS a machine by directing tons of crap at
>      port 121, which is also noted in the BUGS section of the syslogd
>      manpage.

	Seen it happen, not pretty. My customer asked me why freebsd
shipped with this vulnerability enabled. I had no answer.

>   3. Syslogd runs as root, and while it is a mature piece of code, I think
>      it preferable to minimize the number of root applications listening
>      on sockets.

	I would further propose that the flags be -ssvv, which would go a
long ways toward teaching new system administrators what is logged where,
and why.

Thanks for the great suggestion,

Doug
--
"While the future's there for anyone to change, still you know it seems,
 it would be easier sometimes to change the past"

     - Jackson Browne, "Fountain of Sorrow"