Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 00:22:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Integration of Net/OpenBSD code (was Re: your mail)

> In message <200008200303.NAA06295@avalon.reed.wattle.id.au> Darren Reed writes:
> : code that is hard to just "copy".  The time it is taking for cardbus
> : to arrive in FreeBSD, when it is already available in NetBSD, is a
> : good example of this.  (This is/was Warner Losh's baby, or am I
> : confused ?)  I'm *really* disappointed that FreeBSD doesn't (yet ?)
> : support cardbus in 4.x (-current?) :-(
>
> It has become hard to just copy code from one BSD to another.  It

As someone who spends a fair amount of time doing just this, I have to say
that the *BSD's have deviated significantly in many respects. So much so that
very conscious major design choices have to be made to facilitate any kind of
code sharing.

I used to feel that this was a terrible thing. Now I'm not so sure. I believe
that in places where it really might be important to share ways can be found
to do s. In cases where one developer is common to all *BSDs, that developer
will make the effort if appropriate and possible. In the case where you have
major kernel APIs, it's harder, and given the intransigence of people in *all*
camps, trying to bridge that is very hard- so much so that I think now that
such differences should be *encouraged* instead.

-matt