Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 23:24:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        audit@freebsd.org
Subject:   libmytinfo

Okay guys, here's our first real challenge :-)

As you probably know, libmytinfo on 3.X had an overflow reported on
bugtraq..I've committed a fix for this one, but the rest of that code
scares me a lot - there are undoubtedly other problems remaining.

We need to do a thorough audit of libncurses, libmytinfo, libtermcap, and
libcurses in 3.X, as well as 4.0. 3.X and 4.X have different versions of
ncurses (the 3.X version is positively ancient), hopefully the newer one
is safer. This particular overflow was an unguarded while() loop which
copies a string, but the library also makes use of unsafe string functions
which accept input from getenv() :-(

Hopefully we'll find the remaining bugs before anyone else does :-)

Kris

----