Date:      Sun, 05 Mar 2000 09:19:53 +0100
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        "Jamie A. Lawrence" <jal@ThirdAge.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Great American Gas Out

At 23:35 04.03.00 -0800, you wrote:
>++ 04/03/00 13:26 -0500 - Crist J. Clark:
>> Driving is an activity that incurrs a cost on society, building roads,
>> regular maintainance, salter, snow plows, maintainace to fix the
>> damage the snow plows did, etc.
>
>A cost that is not fully realized in the US.
Hi!

Well, in germany they try to realize it, and current taxes on fuel and cars
are risen with the argument that they cost much to maintain. But- not all
that money collected goes directly to street maintenance, at least they
were unable to show direct figures for that.

Sure, personal assult vehicles consume more than they pay for. If
>they were taxed at a sane rate, far fewer people would drive them.
>
>This from a serious anarchist who wants to see private roads everywhere.
>If everyone payed a private entity to get to work, we'd see a saner
>commute schedule. It would be a lot different. Makes you ("you" meaning
>people in CA, US) wonder, I hope. I live here.
Yes, some countries like France and switzerland also have some schematics
like that.
for some of the big highways you have to pay to drive over them, you have
to buy some kind of sticker or ticket, that is valid for a certain distance
or time...

Other problem is, that in germany the roads are financed by the state, but
the railway (there is only one organization) has to pay the rails themselves.

Commuting is, as germany is a dense populated area, also very common, but
50 km are regarded as not that good, and you seldom go over 100 km, if you
don't need to. If it is a good job you want to have for some longer time,
that you move to that area.
You also get more free time not having to commute that time, freeing
sometimes half or even an hour a day...

>> > It's the same the whole world over. Energy policies and fuel costs aren't
>> > driven by markets or even common sense. They are controlled by big
>> > cartels, big government, and politics.

Yes, they also try to get something on the railway, but it is mostly much
cheaper to go by car. Example: If I travel from my city where I do my
studies to my mom at home, thats 300 km ~186 miles, then I have to pay
approx 44 DM 1 U$~2 DM for a one-way ticket, normal class, rebates as a
student with a special rebate card I have to pay for (gets me half price)
(Bahncard for german listeners). Add some more DM for the bus from the
railway station to my mom's home 10 km away, and you get the figure.
travelling time is about 4-5 hrs.

With a car, you can do the same distance in 3 hrs, and need approx 25
litres of fuel, with a diesel, you get 20 litres(at 1.50DM/l), this making
up to much smaller costs, if you leave the cost of the car aside. (and
thats the thingie almost left out by most people, that cars also have some
running costs to be distributed).
As students, we share some rides, thus paying the half or third of what
railway would cost, even when counting in all the rebates they give up to
half price...

Regards
Olaf Hoyer
--------
Olaf Hoyer	 www.nightfire.de                mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- Turning PC's into workstations   ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)