Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 2000 12:49:38 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@bsdi.com>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   [lauriep@oreilly.com: OPL 2.0 Review]

Hi guys,

This is probably a worthwhile list for people to be on.

----- Forwarded message from Laurie Petrycki <lauriep@oreilly.com> -----

Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 10:47:22 -0500
From: Laurie Petrycki <lauriep@oreilly.com>
To: "Tim O'Reilly" <tim@oreilly.com>, Eric Raymond <esr@thyrsus.com>,
   David Wiley <dw2@opencontent.org>, Chuck Toporek <chuck@oreilly.com>,
   Andy Oram <andyo@oreilly.com>, Frank Pohlmann <fpohlman@oreilly.com>,
   Frank Willison <frank@oreilly.com>, Ellen Siever <ellen@oreilly.com>,
   Guylhem Aznar <guylhem@metalab.unc.edu>, jeremy@valinux.com,
   tridge@linuxcare.com, Betsy Waliszewski <betsy@oreilly.com>,
   John Kling <johnk@oreilly.com>, sara@oreilly.com, bruce@hams.com,
   karsten@opensales.com, mitchell@mozilla.org, ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr,
   rosalia@nis.lanl.gov, pjones@metalab.unc.edu, aleonard@salon.com,
   dgl@bsdi.com, d-mueth@uchicago.edu, d@valinux.com, ndw@nwalsh.com,
   nik@bsdi.com, "Lawrence E. Rosen" <lrosen@rosenlaw.com>,
   kevin lenzo <lenzo@cs.cmu.edu>, stephanie.wall@newriders.com,
   michael.slaughter@awl.com, rms@gnu.org, john.wait@awl.com,
   Paula Ferguson <paula@oreilly.com>, Michael Loukides <mikel@oreilly.com>
Subject: OPL 2.0 Review

Eric Raymond, David Wiley, and I have created a first draft of an update
to the Open Publication License (OPL). The revised version (2.0) of the
license can be viewed online at
http://opencontent.org/openpub/opl20.html.

I've sent you this message because I believe you may be interested in
participating in the discussion concerning the revision. If you would
like to join the discussion please subscribe to the mailing list set up
by the generous folks at linuxdoc.org (thanks, guylhem). To subscribe
send a message to opl-discuss-request@linuxdoc.org following standard
mailing list subscription rules. Please forward this message to anyone
else you feel could add value in finalizing the license.

We've incorporated several changes into this revision including an
overall update to the language of license that I was working on several
months ago with an attorneys with Pearson.

A requirement has been added where all substantive modifications must be
clearly marked in order to protect an author and original copyright
holder for being held responsible for material not written by them.

The options have been removed from the license, and therefore,
commercial print rights to the work are held by the publisher.

Some of the modifications to the license were made with the awareness of
the FDL's (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) existence. I believe
both licenses can coexist together to give authors and publishers a
choice. The OPL protects the commercial efforts of the publisher and
author while still giving something back to the community. The FDL makes
a manual, textbook, or other written document "free" in the sense of
freedom: to assure everyone the effective freedom to copy and
redistribute it, with or without modifying it, either commercially or
noncommercially according to the preamble to the license.

I'm looking forward to a productive discussion.

Regards,
Laurie

--
Laurie Petrycki   O'Reilly & Associates
Executive Editor

lauriep@oreilly.com * 317 770 8672
http://www.oreilly.com

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Marketing Director, BSDi EMEASA      Royal Albert House, Sheet Street
                                     Windsor, Berkshire SL4 1BE