Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 00:29:36 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>
Cc:        Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>, Dmitry Brodsky <dima@cs.ubc.ca>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Meta-Data & stackable FS

Kelly Yancey wrote:

>   So long as you only stack over FFS. As much as I like the idea of extended
> attributes, stacked file systems should be able to stack over any other
> filesystem. Unless I'm mistaken, NFS doesn't support EA's, not to mention any
> of the misc. filesystems. I don't even know where one would begin trying to
> add EA support to say, procfs.

You write a generic EA layer that works through namespace overload, and
thus can be used over any other layer. So, if your base layer does not
provide EA, you add the generic EA layer first.

In the worst case, you'll prevent needless duplication of such technique
on every layer that adds EAs.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com