Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 01:51:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Kherry Zamore <dknj@dknj.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Overview of UFS

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Kherry Zamore wrote:

> Hi, I was just wondering if there are any places I could go to get an
> overview of UFS and an understanding how it works "deep down".

The usual authoritative source of information about BSD stuff is the "BSD
Book", or "The Design and Implementation of the 4.4bsd Operating System"
by McKusick, et al.  While some parts of the book are relatively dated
with respects to FreeBSD, the description of UFS should be fairly accurate
(leaving aside some recent additions such as extended attributes, and soft
updates in FFS).  The normal computer book sources should have it in
stock--try Barnes and Noble, et al.