Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 2000 13:44:15 +0200
From:      Theo van Klaveren <t.vanklaveren@student.utwente.nl>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Getting data from the ATAPI-CD driver

Hi,

Having some time on my hands, I decided to work on AudioFS a bit. First
thing was, of course, to get it to work at all :-)

As detailed in my previous post to this list, the way Linux's AudioFS
does this doesn't work for FreeBSD (using IOCTL's). So, Soren Schmidt's
advice was to directly get data from the atapi_cd driver. Doing some
research, I see two ways to do this:

1) Using atapi_queue_cmd(), like the way atapi_cd's ioctl handler does
it but not copyout'ing the retrieved data. To do this _outside_ the
atapi_cd driver, however, I need it's atapi_softc, and I haven't figured
out how to do that yet, except that I have to use driver_get_softc(),
which needs a device_t, which I don't know how to get. I'm not sure this
is the 'right' way.

2) Using VOP_STRATEGY on the acd device in audiofs_strategy(), the way
the cd9660 filesystem does it. I'm not sure this will work, but it sure
looks like it. This would also reduce code complexity, but I'm not sure
it's 'right' either.

What would be the 'right' way?

--
Theo van Klaveren <t.vanklaveren@student.utwente.nl>