Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 05:10:12 -0500
From:      Zach Johnson <xopl@execpc.com>
To:        Boris Staeblow <balu@dva.in-berlin.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't load root fs with onboard ATA100

>>Is there anything at all that can be done about this?  Or is the
problem
>>in the lack of ATA100 support and I should give up... (?!)
>
>Take the "ata-all.c" and "ata-dma.c" from -current in src/sys/dev/ata
>and put them in your 4.1 tree, rebuild your kernel, reboot.

Boris, thank you for your response.  You have been the most helpful
person yet.  With your advice is definitely on the right track.
Unfortunately, I cannot get my kernel to compile with those files from
-current.  I get compiler errors on ata-all.c if I use the config/make
depend/make/make install method.  I get strange errors if I try the make
buildkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL method.  I tried copying all of the
src/sys/dev/ata files from -current, but that doesn't fix things
either.  I had to add a file named bio.h to my source tree which was
missing, this makes me wonder what other files from the -current tree I
need.

I want support for my ATA100 Hight Point Technologies HPT370
controller.  The ATA code in -current provides that support.  I need
help importing the ATA code from -current into the 4.1-release tree so I
compile a kernel.

All help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Zach Johnson