Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 09:40:20 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        new-bus@freebsd.org
Subject:   newbus from a documentation view

Hi guys,

most of you know I am working on the documentation for newbus/busspace
and consequently device drivers.  (Heaven knows how Bill Paul,
Poul-Henning, Peter and Matthew already have grey hairs by now *g*.)

What I haven't been able to define is a discription for newbus.  Sure,
it is the new bus structure, but how is it best to be described?

``As a system that allows for a very structured device and bus
architecture by means of interconnecting busses and devices in a logical
way.''

Also, did I miss important files functions in this list:

machine/bus.h <which maps to sys/alpha/include/bus.h or
	sys/i386/include/bus.h depending on which hardware we run)

machine/bus_memio.h <also in alpha and i386 version>
	I see that this one is basically an empty header, deprecated in
	usage?

machine/bus_pio.h <also in alpha and i386 version>
	I see that this one is also an empty header, also deprecated in
	usage?

machine/resource.h <alpha/i386>

sys/bus.h <machine independant>

sys/bus_private.h <machine independant>

sys/module.h <machine independant>

The function houdeholding is for later today. =)

--
Jeroen Ruigrok vd W/Asmodai         asmodai@[wxs.nl|bart.nl|freebsd.org]
Documentation nutter/B-rated Coder BSD: Technical excellence at its best