Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2000 00:51:44 PST
From:      "Some Person" <ntvsunix@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: configuring DHCP in FreeBSD 3.4

You can type:

ifconfig -a
from here, you'll have one named x10 (for a 3c905b) I have the same one on
DHCP with ADSL.
ee /etc/rc.conf (or pico /etc/rc.conf if you installed pine) - i would also
recommend edit'ing /etc/defaults/rc.conf to see what other things you can
add to /etc/rc.conf (but don't modify this ./defaults/rc.conf file). it's
like the LINT file for your kernel).
anyways, you should see a line like:

ifconfig_x10="DHCP"
where x10 is the device name that you'll see from an: ifconfig -a or
ifconfig x10

If you want to add static IP, if needed, then change it to:
ifconfig_x10="x.x.x.x netmask 255.x.x.x"
make sure to add or unless you already have, line in /etc/resolv.conf
search domain-name (ie, home.com) - optional
nameserver x.x.x.x
nameserver x.x.x.x

you can also manually do: dhclient x10 (where x10 is the device name) or:
ifconfig x10 x.x.x.x netmask 255.x.x.x

then after these, reboot (shutdown -r now) ftp ftp.netscape.com or
something.

ICMP type n from x.x.x.0 to 0.0.0.0, out could be filtered too.

Try also lynx, if not installed...

cd /usr/ports/www/lynx/
make install as root user, and see if it even downloads.

Hope this helps.

PS: I moved from Linux to FreeBSD and JUST LOVE IT! I don't even want to
look back if I can. I run most Linux apps I need anyways, in FreeBSD.

Take care, and happy FreeBSD'ing!

OpenBSD is another I want to check out, but mainly as my NAT
router/firewall/bastion host.