Date:      26 Sep 2000 15:45:12 CEST
From:      Klaus Herrmann <klaus.herrmann@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   dds2tar / mtio

Hey Folks!

I wonder if one could make dds2tar or at least a patched tar to get work on
freebsd(4.1). the author says it runs on linux and hpux. the thing is:

	     This tool was originally written for Linux SCSI tape archives.
	     All device dependent code is separated.
	     It should be easy, to change this for your machine type.
	     The only problem should be the ioctls for
		MTIOCTOP,(MTSEEK,arg) and MTIOCPOS.

well, according to mtio(4) we have the MTIOCTOP ioctl, but no MTSEEK and
MTIOCPOS. (in fact i took a look at the tar-patch and i don't think the author
uses MTSEEK so all we need is MTIOCPOS as long as we only use the tar-patch
and not the whole dds2tar package). as i am not a kernel programmer i can't tell
wether it is possible or not to implement this ioctl and how much work it
would be to do it. What do you think? has anyone tried this? or are there already
similar ioctls which could be uses instead?

#if defined(MTIOCPOS)
  /* Prints the tape block number on every Linux SCSI-device */
  if ( record_file_name )
    {
      struct mtpos pos ;
      int i ;
      i = ioctl(archive,MTIOCPOS,&pos);
      if ( i == 0 )
	{
	  fprintf(stdrec,
	    "loc	     number of the first block is %d\n",
	    pos.mt_blkno );
	}
    }
#endif

this is the only time MTIOCPOS is used i think. oh, one more thing: the README
says MTIOCTOP is used but i can only find MTIOCGET in the sources. but both
seem
to be implemented so no need to worry i hope).

do you think we could make this work? fast file recovery with tar would be
great
as tar is cool as long as you dont want to restore a file which is somewhere
on
this 45GB (3x15GB tapes) backup....

regards,
	Klaus

--
"Don't put off for tomorrow what you can do today, because if you
enjoy it today you can do it again tomorrow."

Klaus Herrmann <klaus.herrmann@gmx.net>
PGP-Fingerprint: B6FD E394 B6BB 0B58 17BF  35EC 1AF3 A4BD B8D6 E23A