Date:      24 Sep 2000 20:26:58 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'interrupt-level buffer overflows' for sio device?

Warner Losh <imp@village.org> writes:
> In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0009080008090.527-100000@thelab.hub.org> The Hermit Hacker writes:
> : Okay, I'm a little confused here ... from what I'm reading/following, this
> : isn't a new problem ... or is it?  If not, why has it suddenly manifested
> : itself with the new SMP code?
> It seems to be new with the SMP code.  At least that's what my reading
> of the original message is.

I'm seeing the same thing as Marc, but I have a little more info:

1) it started after the SMPng commit.

2) it's not just sio, it's everything:

    - interactive response is markedly slower.

    - the keyboard autorepeats slower than it used to (even with
      kbdcontrol -r fast).

    - I/O bound processes such as mpg123 or cvsup will pause briefly
      when there is other I/O going on (moving the mouse, typing fast,
      holding down a key on the keyboard), which they didn't use to.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org