Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 2000 00:24:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
To:        Adam <bsdx@looksharp.net>
Cc:        wonko@entropy.tmok.com, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FW: Sun mice (fwd)

On Sat, 3 Jun 2000, Adam wrote:

> Thanks, hmm, are they really ps/2 or just the same shape?

They're just the same shape.

One possibility would be to use USB. You could plop a PCI USB card
into one of the PCI Ultras, but your X server would then have to
support that.

Perhaps some of the NetBSD stuff could be ported over to help with
that.  A USB PC card should `just work' on a sparc (well, it's not
unlikely you'd have to do some fairly trivial hacking, but maybe
not), and NetBSD actually changes all mouse protocols to a common
one in the kernel, which the XFree86 then uses. (This is how you
can plug a USB/2 mouse into a running system and it just starts
working in parallel with your PS/2 mouse.) But I know that, under
NetBSD at least, we use a different X server for the Sun, so there's
probably some work to be done there.

And, of course, all this USB stuff is moot on an SS2. But again,
many PS/2 mice will also now operate on a serial port, which an
SS2 does have.

Hmmm.

(Personally, I really want to use my Sun-3 keyboards on my PCs.
I'd even give up the wheel for that.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   917 532 4208   http://www.netbsd.org
  Human speech is like a cracked tin kettle, on which we hammer out tunes