Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 12:41:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Richard Hodges <rh@matriplex.com>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.3 GENERIC won't complete

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, David O'Brien wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 10:37:41PM -0700, Richard Hodges wrote:
> > That's good to know, but it still goes through the modules twice,
> > again choking on agp.
>
> That is normal -- once to make the "obj" directory for each module, and
> the 2nd time is the build (or depend) step.
>
> That linking you showed is very weird.  I would:
>
>     cd /usr/src/sys/compile
>     rm -rf GENERIC
>     cd /usr/src/sys/modules
>     make cleandir
>     make cleandir
>     cd /usr/src/sys/alpha/conf
>     config GENERIC
>     cd ../../compile/GENERIC
>     make depend
>     make

That didn't seem to help.  The modules still failed with agp.
But after doing 'rm -r /usr/src/sys' and reinstalling kernel
sources, the problem went away.

I have a strong feeling that the module compile problem was
related to the bad clock setting when I installed FreeBSD,
even though I removed sys/compile/... and did fresh configs.
Something was probably confused by the file and directory
dates of 1919.

Anyway, thanks for the help.  Now I can start having fun!
The reason I got this Alpha is to get some code 64-bit clean
in preparation for the new architectures.

-Richard