Date:      Sun, 5 Aug 2001 11:28:02 +0200
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.org>, Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>, audit@FreeBSD.org, ache@FreeBSD.org, des@FreeBSD.org, jabley@automagic.org
Subject:   Re: whois(1) new features for review

-On [20010726 17:21], Alexey Zelkin (phantom@FreeBSD.org) wrote:
>According '-R' flag. I suggest to just document deprecation
>of '-R' flag in manpage for 5.x branch. But in 4.x branch
>make it in way proposed by Mike (runtime deprecation message)
>and document it in manpage as well.

That's a point of discussion btw:

Since you introduce the changes in 5.0.  Along with the deprecation
points to be made.

Therefore you remove the functionality in 6.0 and onward [next major
release].

You do not touch 4.x, since that would mean a backport.  Normally, in
commercial environments (just for the sake of the discussion/through),
you only backport fixes and not radical changes like this.

[ObNote: Yes, I have been reading standards documents lately as well as
maintaining and reading my share of commercial Unix systems and their
associated documentation.]

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven/Asmodai asmodai@[wxs.nl|freebsd.org|xmach.org]
Documentation nutter/C-rated Coder, finger asmodai@ninth-circle.dnsalias.net