Date:      Sun, 1 Apr 2001 14:44:10 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        reed@reedmedia.net (Jeremy C. Reed)
Cc:        dchulhan@uwi.tt (Dale Chulhan - Home), chat@FreeBSD.ORG (chat@FreeBSD.ORG)
Subject:   Re: Email Abuse Question "X-Originating IP"

> > I examined some Hotmail emails that were originating with an abuser
> > about a year ago and could not find the X-Originating IP in emails sent
> > to windows or macs (I did view source in both cases). Is it that this
> > header only shows up on Unix machines? I've noticed that everyone who
>
> I don't think "X-" headers are platform specific. These headers are
> generally added by the particular mail program generating or sending the
> mail. As far as I can tell (but I didn't look very far), none of the mail
> programs or mail processing tools I use (under Unix-type systems), use
> that particular header.
>
> When I am curious about a particular IP, I look at the

It is a common practice for webmail programs to expose their
originating IP address in headers.  Yahoo (Rocektmail) does
this by faking up a "Received:" timestamp line, with the
"from" element replaces by the bracketted IP address of the
client from which the POST request originated.  Others use
the "X-OriginatingIP:" or a similar "X-" header, which can be
anything you want to jam into an "X-" header.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.