Date:      Sun, 29 Apr 2001 17:36:22 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Emma_Wermstr=F6m?= <e5emwe@etek.chalmers.se>
To:        freebsd-database@freebsd.org
Subject:   connecting to an oracle database on Solaris from FreeBSD

Hi!

I hope there is someone who can help me with my problem. I'm trying to
set up a dynamic web page that retrieves information from an oracle
database on a Solaris8.x.x. I'm using freeBSD with an Apache 1.3.12
server. The database is NOT located on the same machine as the web
server. Are there any good ways to do this? I'm also using perl 5.005 embedded
in html (mod_perl1.25 and embperl).
I've tried to go about this using to methods.

1) Installing Perl modules DBI and DBD::Oracle. What do I need from
the Solaris and Oracle database in order to set up my web server as a
client? Which files and directories? Solaris gcc? WHen installing DBD::Oracle
I get a complaint telling me that $ORACLE_HOME isn't set. WHere do I do
that?

2) Installing Perl module ARSperl, since I'm using the database for
the Action Request System. I couldn't find any ARS APIs (libraries and
includes) for FreeBSD so I used the Linux version. Hmm. It doesn't complain
during the installation phase but of course the module-functions
don't work. The perl programs fail directly on the "use ARS;" command.
It complains about not finding "pthread_once". I can understand this
since the libraries aren't compiled under FreeBSD on my machine.

I've tried looking through the mailing list archives and the FAQs but
I can't find an answer anywhere. Please tell me I don't have to
switch to Linux instead of FreeBSD. THat would be a pain!
THanks for any help!

Emma