Date:      Sun, 8 Apr 2001 12:44:07 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        FreeBSD-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   burncd code

I'm sure you've all heard about troubles with burncd and audio CDs. I'm
one of the people having trouble. I can write data CDs just fine, but
when I try to burn an audio disc, it fails, no matter what speed. It
simply says "writing -1 of XXXXX bytes" and quits. If I try to fixate
the disc in the same pass, it gives me an ioctl error.

Rather than invest in a SCSI controller and burner, I'm going to get
this damn drive working for me. I know the problem is a software one,
since if I try to burn the raw audio data as a data disc, it works just
fine. Furthermore, I had it working under Linux with SCSI emulation.

Hunting through burncd.c, I see that the "audio" or "raw" option defines
the integer datablock_type as CDR_DB_RAW in the structure cdr_track in
/usr/include/sys/cdrio.h (CDR_DB_RAW is defined there as well).
CDR_DB_RAW corresponds with blocks of 2352 blocks of raw data.

Clearly this doesn't work. I've found other CDR_DB_RAW defines in
cdrio.h, as follows:

  #define CDR_DB_RAW       0x0     /* 2352 bytes of raw data */
  #define CDR_DB_RAW_PQ    0x1     /* 2368 bytes raw data + P/Q
	subchan */
  #define CDR_DB_RAW_PW    0x2     /* 2448 bytes raw data + P-W
	subchan */
  #define CDR_DB_RAW_PW_R  0x3     /* 2448 bytes raw data + P-W raw
	sub */

Would any of these make a better selection for the burncd "audio" or
"raw" directives?

I'm sorry, but I know nothing of the structure of audio CDs. Any help
would be greatly appreciated, and I would, of course, submit any patches
I make.

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx