Date:      Wed, 03 Oct 2001 12:26:05 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@vicor-nb.com>
To:        freebsd-i18n@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need advice on Asian keyboards and FreeBSD

Hi!
Most of you will know me from other mailing lists..

The company I am working for has a sudden need to understand
the options available to us for keyboard input and web output
for Asian language support in our FreeBSD based apps.

The applications have two sources of data:
Web forms and Athena-widget set based apps.

They also have to be able to display this data in the correct
form on the same apps and also some others. e.g. be
able to print hardcopy.. Obviously the databases need to
be checked for compatibility with this as well.

While I have had some exposure to Japanese EUC encoding in the past,
(and the Micro$oft encoding) My knowlege is limited when it comes
to Unicode, Big5, Thai or the Korean encodings..
(we also need Malay, indonesian and possibly several indian scripts as
well, but I think Latin can be used in those countries).

We are looking for a few people who can guide us in FreeBSD
internationalisation, and who understand the issues in these (web
and athena) areas.

Questions we need answering include:
Unicode.. WHy/why-not
keyboards and web/X
Encoding tags, and how we should add them into our
app.

If you are really seriously into Internationalisation, we
have some budget for consultants in this field.... :-)

Julian,
(julian@freebsd.org)