Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2001 15:23:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        ia64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Grrrr..

Ok, I've got ski up and running, and the kernel panics very early in boot
because it tries to initialize a mutex for a zalloc zone far too early.  The
problem is due to pmap_bootstrap() using a zbootinit()'d zone.  Now, I could
just hack around this if we need that zalloc zone, but pmap_bootstrap has this
comment above the code in question:

        /*
         * We need some PVs to cope with pmap_kenter() calls prior to
         * pmap_init(). This is all a bit flaky and needs to be
         * rethought, probably by avoiding the zone allocator
         * entirely.
         */

so I'm wondering if it might not be better to try and fix it as the comment
suggests instead?