Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 11:53:07 +1000 (EST)
From:      Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   boa small/fast web server

Hi all,

I'm running a popular "no budget" site on an overloaded server. Until
yesterday, I was running two sets of Apache processes - one for
dynamically generated HTML (PHP) and a leaner version for images. I've now
installed Boa as the images server, and although it's FAST and hardly
takes up any memory (5Mb total compared to a peak of over 200 apache
processes consuming around 1Mb each!), I am having one major problem -
inconsistent broken images.

Badly worded technical question:

When a program opens a socket for listening, and someone connects, is a
copy of that socket handed over to the process that owns it (with the
original socket remaining open for immediate further connects), or does
the process use that socket and then have to recreate the listening
connection?

If it's the latter, I'm wondering whether that is why I'm getting broken
images - connections refused because Boa can't open a new listen socket in
time...

Is anyone else using Boa having this problem? Any tips in general on how
to optimise FreeBSD 4.2R for Apache and/or Boa? It's basically a stock
GENERIC kernel with non relevant devices removed. Boa was compiled from
original archive rather than via the ports collection, so that may be an
issue too.

This is the same machine that was crashing a while back, it's now running
on all DIMM instead of SIMM+DIMM and it's been running well, just rarely
above 0% idle. Boa has changed that, but at what cost...

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe                              http://www.rowan.sensation.net.au/
Sensation Internet Services                   http://info.sensation.net.au/