Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2001 09:28:20 -0800
From:      Kevin Sindhu <kevin.sindhu@lucifer.at>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>, Exim Users <exim-users@exim.org>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Exim] Exim + Virtual POP accounts

--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V

Hello,

On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 10:45:20AM +0300, Odhiambo Washington penned:

> If I host a virtual domain called virtual.dom, I want mail for that
> domain to be delivered to /var/virtdomains/$domain/$local_part so
> that mail for marc@virtual.com is stored in
> /var/mail/virtual.dom/marc. Marc should then be able to login as
> marc@virtual.dom in order to pick his e-mails. This whole scenario
> should still leave me with the freedom to have marc@wananchi.com
> whose mail is in /var/mail/marc and who logs in simply as marc. At a
> higher level, I also need to handle aliases for these virtual
> domains, separate from my main aliases file.

Here comes a deciding factor. Do you wish to have all this setup
controlled by 1) Database, or 2) LDAP, or 3) Config files.=20

Then comes another issue of what are you looking for mail pickup, i.e.
IMAP or POP3. Do you need a web based mail pickup etc.

As someone else pointed this out to you, this has been discussed a lot
on this list and you'll find good info in the archives. However, I can
tell you the way I have it setup:

1) Exim queries a MySQL DB for virtual Host/user (where their passwd
   is also stored)
2) Mail delivery is done to /var/virtual_mail/$domain/$user
3) I am running qpopper+mySQL patch for mail pickup for this virtual
   user.
4) Real user mail is done via Maildir and/or procmail(hacked for
   Maildir support on OpenBSD). They can pickup their mail locally or
   through courier IMAP via webmail
5) For security purposes, only localhost can connect to port
   110(POP3), thus giving me more control over who logs in and via only
   the web interface.=20

At present, I am looking at another solution where I want to change
from MySQL to a LDAP database but I have been just "so" busy.

> I sincerely trust that someone can advise me on this - the steps
> they took, even a mini-howto from personal notes. One major question
> is how to get separate passwd files for the virtual-domain users and
> the main system users.How do you add your users?  I'm looking at
> this from the FreeBSD perspective.

Well, as I have above..you can prolly write up a quick php script that
can add/remove users in MYSQL.=20

Ciao,

    -Kevin
--=20
We will have solar energy as soon as the utility companies solve one
technical problem -- how to run a sunbeam through a meter.

--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V

--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V--