Date:      31 Oct 2001 09:09:42 -0000
From:      daichi@int.ongs.gr.jp
To:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Quick survey of XIM and JDK on FreeBSD

> Patchset 5 for JDK 1.3.1 is up on the web site.  The main highlights are:
(snip)
> If you are a Chinese, Japanese or Korean user you should still also apply
> the Open Motif patch from http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=30421
> and rebuild Open Motif before building the JDK.  This prevents a potential
> memory fault when using XIM.  The patch will become unnecessary on your
> platform once the Open Motif port/package has been updated.

Title:  Quick survey of XIM and JDK on FreeBSD
Author: Daichi GOTO(daichi@ongs.gr.jp)
Date:   Mon Oct 29 13:48:04 2001

1. Opening
==========

My system was changed into FreeBSD4.4 from 4.2-stable yesterday. And I
took a quick survey of XIM and JDK, again.

  Target XIM:
    xwnmo(Wnn7):             XMODIFIERS="@im=_XWNMO"
    kinput2(esecanna+vje30): XMODIFIERS="@im=kinput2"
    vje(vje30):              XMODIFIERS="@im=vje"

  Target JDK:
    FreeBSD JDK122
    FreeBSD JDK131
    Linux JDK131
    Linux JDK131(IBM)
    Linux JDK14

  Target Motif:
    open-motif 2.1.30(/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/open-motif/)
    open-motif 2.1.30(/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/open-motif/) with patch
    open-motif 2.1.30(/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/open-motif-devel)

  Target Application:
    Notepad(demo/jfc/Notepad)

  Environment:
    OS:                 FreeBSD 4.4-Release
    Window Environment: XFree86-4.1.0_10
    Window Manager:     windowmaker-0.70.0_1
    Linuxulator:        linux_base-6.1(/usr/ports/emulators/linux_base)
                        ja-linux_locale-18.0_1(/usr/ports/japanese/linux_locale)

We can use some XIM clients. Especially, xwnmo, kinput2, and vje are
famous. Xwnmo is the clients only for Wnn6/Wnn7, and Vje is the one only
for VJE-Delta. Kinput2 is the client of two or more Kana-Kanji
conversion servers.
There are some Kana-Kanji conversion servers, FreeWnn(Wnn4)/Wnn6/Wnn7,
Canna, VJE-Delta, WXG, etc. But since the client and the server are
separated, in order to investigate operation of XIM, it is not necessary
to take a server into consideration. So I took a quick survey of XIM
clients not servers.

2. Result
=========

  [FreeBSD JDK122 with open-motif]
    xwnmo:   NO
    kinput2: OK
    vje:     OK

  [FreeBSD JDK131 with open-motif]
    xwnmo:   NO (freeze after conversion
                 Xlib: sequence lost (0x103dd > 0x3df) in reply type 0x12!)
    kinput2: OK
    vje:     OK

I applied Fuyuhiko-san's patch to motif(/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/open-motif).

  [FreeBSD JDK122 with open-motif(+patch)]
    xwnmo:   NO
    kinput2: OK
    vje:     OK

  [FreeBSD JDK131 with open-motif(+patch)]
    xwnmo:   NO (freeze after conversion
                 Xlib: sequence lost (0x104b4 > 0x4b6) in reply type 0x12)
    kinput2: OK
    vje:     OK

Current default open-motif(open-motif-devel).

  [FreeBSD JDK122 with open-motif-devel]
    xwnmo:   NO
    kinput2: OK
    vje:     OK

  [FreeBSD JDK131 with open-motif-devel]
    xwnmo:   NO (freeze after conversion
                 Xlib: sequence lost (0x1044b > 0x44d) in reply type 0x12!)
    kinput2: OK
    vje:     OK

I used linux_base-6.1(/usr/ports/emulators/linux_base) and
ja-linux_locale-18.0_1(/usr/ports/japanese/linux_locale). Additionally,
you must use LANG=ja_JP.EUC or Linuxulator suppored one(look at
/compat/linux/usr/share/locale/locale.alias).

  [Linux JDK131]
    xwnmo:   NO (freeze after conversion)
    kinput2: OK
    vje:     NO (freeze after booted
                 vje warning : XIM_GET_IM_VALUES or XIM_GET_IC_VALUES : Invalid
Attribute id = 217.)

  [Linux JDK131(IBM)]
    xwnmo:   OK
    kinput2: OK
    vje:     OK

  [Linux JDK14]
    xwnmo:   NO (freeze after conversion)
    kinput2: OK
    vje:     NO (freeze after booted
                 vje warning : XIM_GET_IM_VALUES or XIM_GET_IC_VALUES : Invalid
Attribute id = 217.)

  [table 1.  XIM and JDK operation result]
  ----------------------------------|-----------------------------
  |                                 |  xwnmo  | kinput2 |   vje  |
  |---------------------------------|----------------------------|
  | FreeBSD JDK122 open-motif       |         |   Good  |  Good  |
  |                open-motif+patch |         |   Good  |  Good  |
  |                open-motif-devel |         |   Good  |  Good  |
  |---------------------------------|----------------------------|
  | FreeBSD JDK131 open-motif       |         |   Good  |  Good  |
  |                open-motif+patch |         |   Good  |  Good  |
  |                open-motif-devel |         |   Good  |  Good  |
  |---------------------------------|----------------------------|
  | Linux JDK131                    |         |   Good  |        |
  |---------------------------------|----------------------------|
  | Linux JDK131(IBM)               |   Good  |   Good  |  Good  |
  |---------------------------------|----------------------------|
  | Linux JDK14                     |         |   Good  |        |
  ----------------------------------|-----------------------------

Kinput2 and Linux JDK131(IBM) are perfect. Those always works fine. If
you will build Japanized JFC/Swing application, you should use
kinput2. If you want use xwnmo, you must use Linux JDK131(IBM). Vje has
some platform to use, FreeBSD JDK122, JDK131, Linux JDK131(IBM).

I regret about xwnmo. The performance of Xwnmo(Wnn7) is exceptionally
high. Compared with other clients, it is very comfortable to use it.

3. Another Problem
==================

I took a quick survey of some other problems about JDKs, too.

3.1 Booted window problem
-------------------------

When Notepad.jar was started, the window of FreeBSD JDK131 and Linux
JDK131(IBM) went away.

  [table 2.  Notepad.jar booted window size]
  ----------------------------------|----------
  |                                 |  Window |
  |---------------------------------|---------|
  | FreeBSD JDK122 open-motif       |   Good  |
  |                open-motif+patch |   Good  |
  |                open-motif-devel |   Good  |
  |---------------------------------|---------|
  | FreeBSD JDK131 open-motif       |         |
  |                open-motif+patch |         |
  |                open-motif-devel |         |
  |---------------------------------|---------|
  | Linux JDK131                    |   Good  |
  |---------------------------------|---------|
  | Linux JDK131(IBM)               |         |
  |---------------------------------|---------|
  | Linux JDK14                     |   Good  |
  ----------------------------------|----------

Until now, I thought that WindowManager was the cause of this
problem. However, from this result, I think that there may be a problem
also in the code of FreeBSD JDK131.

3.2 Japanese font problem
-------------------------

As default, Linux JDK131(IBM) cannot display Japanese.

  [table 3.  Display Japanese Font]
  ----------------------------------|----------
  |                                 |  Window |
  |---------------------------------|---------|
  | FreeBSD JDK122 open-motif       |   Good  |
  |                open-motif+patch |   Good  |
  |                open-motif-devel |   Good  |
  |---------------------------------|---------|
  | FreeBSD JDK131 open-motif       |   Good  |
  |                open-motif+patch |   Good  |
  |                open-motif-devel |   Good  |
  |---------------------------------|---------|
  | Linux JDK131                    |   Good  |
  |---------------------------------|---------|
  | Linux JDK131(IBM)               |         |
  | Linux JDK14                     |   Good  |

So I made patch for Linux JDK131(IBM) ports and took send-pr it.

  Linux JDK131(IBM) Japanese font patch:

In addition, there is 1976-1 problem of watanabe/wadalab
font(/usr/ports/japanese/truetypefonts). I am trying to solve this
problem by adding a dummy 1976-1 font to it. However, it has not solved
yet. Please already wait for a while. (It seems that this font is added
in Solaris. But I donot have it)